If you are suffering from obesity , these articles will certainly help you.
To lose weight, the medically correct way means that you will have to reduce the calculated calorie intake per day and create a negative calorie balance. This way, your body can burn the excess fat.
Pharmacists and pharmaceutical professionals are main care takers of our society , but most of the time , we forget to look at our selves we forget to take care of our selves , in course of life , some of us are able to develop big bodies , and then subsequents aliments .
In order to stay health we are required to follow some healthy eating habits ,
As promised we are going to distribute a PDF to our readers , girls and boys of all age.(I am 42) so that you all follow these healthy tips for maintaining healthy good body weight .
Think positive. Believe that you will lose weight. You have to really want it for it to happen. You must do it for yourself, not for anyone else. Think about yourself, your physical and mental wellbeing. Imagine a slimmer, fitter you; it always works. Take some pictures of yourself and put them up around the house. Put one on the refrigerator door, it will serve as a constant reminder and will strengthen your resolve to lose weight. Looking at the picture every once in a while during the course of your programme will inspire you to continue.
Close your eyes and imagine yourself, the way you want to look. Do this as often as possible, self- visualization is a very powerful tool. Give it a try, everything is worth a try. Imagine yourself getting around without getting out of breath, no more pulled muscles, no more indigestion. People smiling at you, the way you look, as you walk by. Treat yourself every once in a while. Put a little money away every time you resist a food craving and then go and splurge on something that will make you feel special, like a new outfit or make-up. Remember, you are losing weight for more than just your appearance. You are losing it for the experience that will come after you have achieved your goal. Always stay focused on why you care doing it. The beauty of the whole experience is that you will never known how good it feels until you get there.
Hints for recording weight
• Always use the same weighting scale so you get an accurate measure of your progress.
• Make sure you weight yourself before eating and after going to the bathroom.
• The first thing to do in the morning is to weight yourself
• Water retention is a common problem for women before their periods, so don’t get discouraged if you tend to lose less weight during that time of the month. It is only temporary.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What is Basal Metabolic Rate?
Ans. The body composition analysis defines your “Basal Metabolic Rate” or BMR. This is the energy utilized by the individual to carry on vital body function when at rest.
Q2. How many calories must be consumed in a day to achieve safe weight loss?
Ans. To determine the amount of calories you need to achieve a safe weight loss, we must know the amount of calories you need to maintain your present weight. For this will have to assess your daily activities and lifestyle
Total Calories = BMR + Lifestyle + Activity.
In order to lose weight, you will have to cut down on the required calories per day and create a negative calorie balance.
Q3. Ans. Negative calorie balance?
Ans. Negative calorie balance can be created by consuming less calories than the calories you expend in a day. When consume more calories than what our body uses in a day, the excessive calories get stored on our body in the form of fat. This fat store can be used to provide functions.
Approximately 750 calories will be converted into 100 grams of fat in the body. So, if over a period we consume 7,500 calories less, we burn 1kg of fat from our body.
Calories requirements for different age groups:
Group —————Calorie requirements
Men (sedentary) ——2425
Women (sedentary) —1875
0-6 months———– 2425
6-12 months ———-2275
Boys (16-18 years) —2640
Girls (16-18 years) —-2060
Water helps keep fat away
Water is the key part of any weight-loss programme. You should drink at least 10-12 glasses of water everyday. It is essential for you as it helps remove body fat and is good for your overall health.
The benefits of water are manifold.
• It helps suppress your appetite.
• It reduces build up of sodium in your body
• It reduces fluid retention. It is when your body does not get enough water that it starts retaining fluids.
• It reduces fat deposits.
• It helps maintain proper muscle tone.
• It helps your body get rid of waste and toxins.
• It relieves constipation.
Among other fluids, Nimboo Pani should be preferred.
Fresh lime soda (without sugar), Buttermilk, Coconut water, Vegetable Juice and Clear Soups are also recommended for a healthy body.
Start your meals with one of the above or just a glass of plain water.
Tips to control your food intake
• Keep a daily record of your food intake in the diet diary.
• Do not shop when you are hungry. Buy only non-fattening food. Read labels carefully before buying.
• Always eat in one room, at the same place and avoid pairing your eating with other activities like watching TV, coking or reading.
• Always keep at hand low-calorie foods to use as snacks, like fruits and raw vegetables.
• If you fell like nibbling on something, you can have “saunf” “ilayachi” or nibble on pieces of chopped apple, etc.
• Make small portions of food appear large by using a small plate or by spreading the food.
• Eat slowly and chew food thoroughly. This helps to eat less food but absorb more vitamins and minerals.
• Store food wisely. Keep high calorie items in places which are hard to reach, like high shelves.
• Don’t think just because you are eating low fat/low calorie food, you can eat all you want. the calories still add up and must be burned off. Balance is the key to success.
Nutritive Value of Various Food Items
1 Cup =200ml
1 Katori= 150ml
1 Glass =250ml
1 Tablespoon= 15gm
1 Tea spoon =5gm
Milk And Milk Products
Food Stuff ========Amount = ======Calories
Buffalo Milk =======1 cup (200ml)=230 Calories
Cow’s Milk ========1 cup (200ml) =135 Calories
Soya milk =========1 cup (200ml) =85 Calories
Toned Milk====== =1 cup (200ml) =90 Calories
Double Skimmed Milk= 1 cup (200ml)= 70 Calories
Skimmed Milk (Liquid) =1 cup (200ml) =60 Calories
Panner (Buffalo Milk) =100gm 292 =Calories
Paneer (Cow’s Milk) =100gm 265 =Calories
Curd (Cows Milk) =1 katori (150ml)= 100 Calories
Curd (Toned Milk) =1 katori (150ml) =70 Calories
Curd (Double Toned Milk)= 1 katori (150ml)= 50 Calories
Butter Milk =1 cup =30 Calories
Cream Light =1 ½ tsp =45 Calories
Khoa =100gm =421 Calories
Processed Cheese =1 cube (25gm) 80 Calories
Condensed Milk= ½ cup (100ml) 228 Calories
Food Stuff Raw =Weight =Calories
Apple =1 medium (100gm)= 60 Calories
Banana =1 medium (120)= 139 Calories
Cherries =10 No. (70gm)= 45 Calories
Dates (dried) =10 No. (100gm)= 317 Calories
Grapes =20 No. (100gm) =71 Calories
Guava =1 medium (150gm)= 75 Calories
Water Retention happens when excess water gets stored in the tissue spaces between cells. It is caused due to the following factors:
(a) Salt intake – Restrict consumption of Sodium in your diet.Foods high in sodium will cause water retention.
(b) Hormonal Imbalance
(c) Pre Menstrual Retention – Pre menstrual retention of water can be minimized by drinking plenty of water maintaining an active programme & restricting your salt intake.
Foods with high sodium content
You should avoid the following items if on a low sodium diet:
• Baking Powder
• Bicarbonate of soda
• Mono-sodium glutamate (Ajinomoto)
• Bacon, Ham, Sausages, Dried fish
• Salted chips, nuts, popcorn, biscuits and varieties of papad
• Salted Pickles, chutneys
• Commercial salad dressing and sauces, pudding mixes
• Soft drinks containing sodium benzoate
• Soup cubes
• Proprietary drinks containing chocolate
Reduced energy expenditure in adults has been shown to correlate with subsequent weight gain.
Dietary restriction, when coupled with increased physical activity, is better reducing body weight.
The energy utilization for activities are listed below:
1. Jogging or running for 1 hour (13mph) – 600 Kcal
2. Cycling for 1 hour (14mph) – 450 Kcal
3. Tennis (game for 1 hour) – 350 Kcal
4. Walking for 1 hour (5 kmph) – 180 Kcal
Besides calorie experience expenditure, physical activity contributes to the total health status of the individual. It helps diabetes by improving the insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance. It helps in increasing the cardio-respiratory fitness.
The crucial technique of managing obesity is to alter eating behavior permanently and making activity patterns a part of your lifestyle.
Walk daily, be fit for life
• Whatever your age, whatever your level of fitness, walking is the simplest and most effective form of activity for losing weight.
• While walking, you should wear loose clothes and well-fitting canvas shoes.
• Start at a slow pace and be careful to build up your speed and distance gradually.
• Walk briskly with rhythmic movement of your arms and feet. Walk fast enough to become a little breathless and slightly tired but never leave yourself gasping for air or completely exhausted. You should be comfortable enough to carry on a conversation while walking.
• Regular walks will slowly long lean muscles, which help in burning calories all the time, day and night, even while you are asleep.
• Preferably walk on an empty stomach or 2-3 hours after the last meal.
Easy ways to boost your activity level
• Walk as mush as possible throughout the day, use car as less as possible.
• Always take the stairs instead of the elevator.
• When parking your vehicle, park it as far away as possible from where you want to go.
• Hide all your remote controls, operate everything manually.
• Whenever possible stand instead of sitting. If you are desk bound at work, stand up when you are on the phone; walk over to give messages to colleagues rather than using e-mail or phone. During beaks as work, walk the stairs, around the building or down the halls.
• While doing household chores, exaggerate your movements and make them big.
• Plant a garden, take up gardening as a hobby.
• Spend quality time outdoors with your children or grandchildren.
• Take up an outdoor game or any other activity you might enjoy.
• Try to work out as much as possible, but at your own pace. Reward yourself. Not by getting yourself as snack, but maybe by buying a new wardrobe for your trim body.