Vaporized hydrogen peroxide have emerged as validated method of decontamination of nose mask(Making it free of Corona Virus the SARS-CoV-2 . So far we knew about validations in pharmaceutical manufacturing. But due to global COVID19 pandemic N95 nose masks are falling short for use of doctors, in earlier days hospitals latex gloves could be reused after sterilization by autoclave and gloves.
Due to global shortages of nose mask, to find out solution NIH (National Institutes of Health) conducted a study for evaluation of effective method of sterilization of Nose mask so that it can be reused number of times.
Following three methods were considered for validation
1) Vaporized Hydrogen Peroxide.
2) 70 Deg Dry heat with UV light
3) 70 % Alcohol.
1) The N95 masks were subjected to infection of SARS-CoV-2 virus viral contamination and it was found that exposure of N95 mask to vaporized hydrogen peroxide for just 10 minutes is effectively eliminated all SARS-CoV-2.
2) Heat treatment at 70 Degree and UV found that the elastic nature of mask is loosing its property but its also one of effective method but with this method N95 mask can be sued just for one more time and not more that that it has be discarded.
3) 70 % Alcohol dissolves the bondage in N95 mask hence it is not recommended as sterilization method.
So whenever some one want to use N95 Mask for multiple times, they can do it after sterilization with vaporizer or liquid hydrogen peroxide( mists or automated) for 10 minutes.
Mode of action of Hydrogen peroxide as antiviral antimicrobial agent:
Hydrogen peroxide after coming in contact with any surface rapidly dissociate and form water molecule and oxygen molecule. During the formation of oxygen a nascent oxygen molecule or a oxygen radicle is formed, both oxygen and its free radicle is highly reactive they react with proteins and essential enzymes of virus or bacteria.
2 → 2 H
2O + O